I was watching The Price is Right the other day and couldn’t help but notice, between all the Med Alert and Hoveround mobility vehicle commercials, there are so many commercials about identity theft. It really made me stop and think about a few things. First, I realized that apparently I am way too young to be watching The Price is Right as their target audience is obviously a demographic that “Depends” on denture creams and mail order prescription drugs (pun intended)! My mind quickly abandoned that train of thought and started focusing on how rampant identity theft is in today’s society. However, the identity theft I am thinking of has nothing to do with social security numbers, credit cards and plummeting credit scores. I am referring to our identity as individuals; identity as others perceive us and as we perceive ourselves.
Webster defines identity as “the collective aspect of the set of characteristics by which a thing is definitively recognizable or known. “ In other words, our identity is the combination of things that make us who we are. While this may be a rudimentary explanation, our identity is what gives us a sense of worth and value. It is this kind of identity that is so easily stolen from us; and this kind of identity theft is so dangerous because it strips us of who we are.
First and foremost, it is imperative to recognize that, as Christians, our identity is in Christ. Colossians 3:3 says that we are hidden with Christ in God. There is an enemy that will do everything he can to deceive us and steal that identity. We are constantly being fed lies that give us a false sense of security. You see this epitomized in different ways, such as “the path to self discovery” and “finding your inner being.” Let’s think about this for a second. By nature, we are imperfect people; we are flawed. If we venture down that path with our flawed perception, the only thing we will find is one big mess proving how imperfect we really are. However, when we identify ourselves with Christ, we know that He sees us and calls us beautiful!
I think sometimes we view ourselves as diamonds in the rough; lumps of coal that have the potential to become something valuable. I know in some cases that analogy serves its purpose, but I don’t think this is how God views us. He does not love us because of our potential; He loves us just because……because we are His. It is very easy to let relationships dictate who we are and to let our successes and failures define us. When we allow this to happen, we are allowing our identity to be stripped out from underneath us.
The good news is that the steps to regaining our identity are so easy! We just have to believe the truths of God’s Word! Colossians 3:12 tells us we are His chosen ones, holy and dearly loved! The best firewall for protection of our identity is to bury those truths in our heart. Don’t become that demographic that “Depends” on others for a sense of value and allows circumstances to define identities. Christ paid a price and died for you because YOU ARE HIS…and That Price was Right!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Kelsey, This is your mom's friend Pam. What a beautiful and timely word from God to read this morning. I have been working with a young mother who is now about 10 months sober. She has really come under attack this week and is coming to my office shortly. This was the main issue for her this morning. I have just printed out for her. Thank you for being HIS conduit to your brothers and sisters! Be blessed.
ReplyDeleteWhat a profound observation! Very well written, entertaining, and full of truth. Thanks for sharing. (I'm a friend of Shana's... she sent me a link to this blog. :-))
ReplyDelete