Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Procrastination: A promise for tomorrow serves what purpose today?

The warning signs are all there; everyone else sees it. A deadline looms and I formulate a million reasons why I cannot complete the task…right now. I indulge in every possible distraction, convincing myself that I will get to the task…in a moment. I find a way to justify my decision to delay the task; “I know I need to get this done, but, if I watch just ONE more episode of the Cake Boss, I bet I could totally enter the Ultimate Cake Off contest and I would soooo win $10,000!” This is my story. My name is Kelsey and…I am a procrastinator.

Those of you that know me well can truly appreciate the accuracy of that description! I have been plagued with this “disease” for as long as I can remember. I approach every scenario with the best of intentions but have yet to find a cure. I have even tried those self-help books. You know the ones – 21 Days to a Better You! Unfortunately, they have proven to be of little use…only because I manage to find a way to procrastinate reading them! I know I am not alone in my plight. Logic would tell us that, in order to find a solution, we must identify the cause.

I have given this considerable thought. I think often times I put off certain tasks because I am afraid of failing or under-delivering. I am afraid that the product of my efforts is not going to be “good enough.” One of the most quoted scriptures from the Bible is Philippians 4:13 which was written with the intent to empower us. The apostle Paul writes, “I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!” This is not only meant to encourage us, but to also serve as a reminder that it is God that gives us our abilities. When we begin to doubt ourselves, we are placing limitations on the God that spoke life into existence; the God that, after seeing all that He had made, called it VERY good! (Genesis 1:31)

This leads me to then ask myself, who am I trying to please? Galatians 1:10 poses this very question. “For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.” If we already know that God has given us the ability to do ALL things through Him, and if everything He has made is VERY good, it should be safe to assume that our efforts will meet His approval.

The caveat here is the implication that there is effort devoted on our part. If I am assigned to a project at work and I know that my boss is measuring my progress, I am motivated to complete the assignment as expected. She knows I have the aptitude and skills to successfully achieve the goal and I cannot let distractions stand in the way of accomplishing the task. On a grander scale, God has gifted us all with talents and abilities and He is fully aware of our potential. If we allow distractions to prevent us from using these gifts, we are delaying God’s plan for our lives. The parable of the talents in Matthew 25 serves as a perfect example of not using the talents God has given. We have to actually DO something, take action or dedicate our efforts if we want to fulfill our potential and live out our purpose, as designed by God.

My actions, and inactions, up to this point have contributed to my story and will inevitably continue to do so. God has fully equipped us to ensure that every page of our story has purpose; and purpose exists in the form of confidence from God. Fortunately, we all share the same opportunity to shape the outcome of our stories, not tomorrow…but TODAY. Proverbs 27:1 says “Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.” I know when my story ends, I want to hear the words “well done, my good and faithful servant, well done!”

No comments:

Post a Comment