Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Potter

While I am thinking about my next blog, I wanted to post this poem I had written a few years ago. I don't typically write poems, but I had written this for someone who was close to me when she found out she had cancer. We all encounter obstacles in life; some are hard fought and tear-filled struggles and others leave us shaking our fists at God. When battling through the array of emotions we experience in these challenges, it is so important to remember that He is working in us and through us for a bigger purpose! I hope this might offer a little encouragement...

The Potter


There are so many questions and so many fears,

So many reasons to let flow the tears.

You are faced with a challenge, a trial you see,

It is easy to wonder, God, why me?


Think of the Potter who works with His clay,

His hands molding and shaping and forming each day.

Every crevice and curve is laced with His love

As He admires the masterpiece from up above.


Before His work can come to an end

To the fire His creation, His art He must send.

How long it will take, only He knows

But in fire its strength builds and grows.


To perfect His work, His masterpiece,

He adds this and that while His love does not cease.

Again in the fire His creation must go,

With patience He waits, for His work He will show.


From the fire emerges this beautiful thing

To His face, a smile it surely does bring.

The Potter knows what’s right and what’s wrong,

His creation He’s made to hold and stand strong.


When you begin to question and ask God why,

Remember the Potter and try not to cry.

Put your faith in Him, for His love will not fail

And through this trial, you will prevail!


Kelsey Hellwarth




1 comment:

  1. Kelsey, you should totally look into publications. And...when you make millions, all of you are my witnesses that publishing it was my idea, which should grant me at least 10%. :-)

    ReplyDelete